1362. John (1) HOLLISTER Lt
was born about 1612 in England. He died in Apr 1665 in prob Wethersfield
CT. 8th ggf of Gordon Fisher
John Hollister is used twice in this tree for father of DIRECT ANCESTORS since Capt Jonathan Hale had a brother and sister among his grandparents. The uses are as father of John Hollister, Jr. and father of Elizabeth Hollister.
"John Hollister, the first, of the name [sic] was admitted a freeman in 1643."
--- Rev. Alonzo B. Chapin, D.D.; Glastenbury for Two Hundred Years, A Centennial Discourse, May 18th, A.D. 1853; Hartford, CT (Case, Tiffany and Company) 1853, p. 183
See Appendix 3, Settling of Glastenbury, for an anecdote about John Hollister and an Indian.
"HOLLISTER, JOHN, Weymouth, freem. 10 May 1643, was rep. in Mar. 1644, in Mass. and Nov. of the same yr. in Conn. rem. to Wethersfield, where he had been in 1642, when s. John was b. to him, as is said, strange as his resid. seems at that date; was an efficient man in Conn. rep. 1645, and oft. until 1656, but with others engag. in a controversy with the ch. under Rev. John Russell, wh. caused the plant. of Hadley [sic] 1659, was lieut. and d. Apr. 1665, by will of 1 Jan. bef. leav. good est. to w. Joanna, d. of the first [listed] Richard Treat, five s. John, b. 1642; Thomas; Joseph; Lazarus; Stephen; beside d. Mary, wh. m. John Wells of Stratford; Eliz. perhaps d. unm. [BUT THIS CONTRADICTS SAVAGE'S OWN STATEMENT THAT SHE MARRIED SAMUEL WELLES---see quote under his name]; and Sarah, w. first. 1674, of Rev. Hope Atherton of Hatfield, and next, 1678, or 9, of Timothy Baker of Northampton. ..... Joseph and Lazarus had no ch."
--- James Savage, *A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England, Showing Three Generations of Those Who Came before May, 1692, on the Basis of Farmer's Register; Boston (Little, Brown & Co.) 1860-1862; v. 2, p. 449
"Lieut. JOHN HOLLISTER, born in England, about 1612, died at Wethersfield, Conn., April 1665; married JOANNA TREAT, baptized at Pitminster, co. Somerset, England, daughter of Richard and Alice (Gaylard) Treat. (P) He served as Deputy for Wethersfield to the Connecticut General Court, at the sessions of SePt. 1644, Apr., Sept. and Dec. 1645, May 1650, Oct. 1653, May and Sept. 1654, May 1655, Oct. 1656, Feb. and Oct. 1657, May and Oct. 1658, May 1659, and Oct. 1661. The colonial records first refer to him as Lieutenant, in April 1657. He was on Wethersfield's war committee, October 1654. ..... The will of Lieut. John Hollister [was] proved 1 June 1665. ..... At a Court, 2 Mar. 1664/65, "Lnt John Hollister for his affronting the Constable (& abetting his son in the same) Jn [sic] the execution of his office at Nayag (South Glastonbury), was fined #5 [#=pounds]. (P) The son Lazarus, who never married, was frequently in trouble. On 4 Mar. 1679/80, "Samuel Wells Lazarus Hollister Jonath Wells for there going to the Indien Wigwams with Liqrs to trace & unseasonably in the night about 9 of the clock" were fined 15 shillings; and shortly after, "Edw: Higby For Traduceing Quareling Fighting & Excessive drincking is fined Twenty shillings, Lazarus Holister is fined for his breach of the peace & extreem beating Edward Higby the summe of Twenty shillings." On 22 Mar. 1681/2, Lazarus Hollister for breach of the peace in fighting Stephen Chester was fined 10 shillings. And on 3 Mar. 1686/7, "Mr. Lazarus Holister for unseasonable being out of house in company of Isack Griswold the night before the pub: fast" was again fined. On 24 Feb. 1707/8, the Sheriff, Ichabod Welles, "haveing by vertue of a Lawfull writ Seized and Arrested the body of [Lazarus] Hollister ... he ... took up an axx, and held it on his shoulder, and said he would split any man down that Offered to lay hold on him." The following 5 April he was put under bond to keep the peace, and was finally discharged from his recognizance, 15 Sept. 1708. ..... He was in service the year of his death [Wethersfield, Sept 1709; born about 1656] under Capt. Samuel Gilbert, Col. William Whiting's Regt." (P) Among other children of John Hollister, we have "ELIZABETH, b. (say 1640); m. abt. 1659, Capt. SAMUEL WELLES ..., b. (say 1628), d. at Wethersfield, 15 July 1675, son of Gov. Thomas and Alice (Tomes) Welles." (See ELIZABETH HOLLISTER, this tree.)
---Donald Lines Jacobus and Edgar Francis Waterman, *Hale, House and Related Families, Mainly of the Connecticut River Valley*. Hartford, CT (Connecticut Historical Society) 1952, p. 615-616.
"HOLLISTER, JOHN, freem. 10 May 1643, was rep. in Mar. 1644, in Mass. and Nov. of the same yr. in Conn. rem. to Wethersfield, where he had been in 1642, when s. John was b. to him, as is said, strange as his resid. seems at that day; was an efficient man in Conn. rep. 1645, and oft. until 1656, but with others engag. in a controversy with the ch. under Rev. John Russell, wh. caused the plant. of Hadley 1659, was lieut. and d. Apr 1665, by will of 1 Jan. bef. leav. good est. to w. Joanna, d. of the first Richard Treat, five s. John, b. 1642; Thomas, Joseph; Lazarus; Stephen; beside d. Mary, who m. John Wells of Stratford; Eliz. perhaps d. unm.; and Sarah, w. first, 1674, of Rev. Hope Atherton of Hatfield, and next, 1678, or 9, of Timothy Baker of Northampton. Farmer thot. two of the same name were made freem. on the same day; but I am satisfied, as sev. others, of rarer name, are repeated in that day's work, it was the blunder of the clk. Joseph and Lazarus had no ch."
---James Savage, *A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England, vol. 2, 1860, p. 449
From Marjorie Grant McNulty, *Glastonbury: From Settlement to Suburb", Glastonbury CT (The Woman's Club of Glastonbury) 1970, p. 10-18 *passim*: "In 1639 the proprietors [of Wethersfield] hired two surveyors. Starting at a point a little to the north of the present East Hartford line, the surveyors laid out 34 strips of land running east from the river "three large miles into the wilderness." In order to provide farms with fishing rights, fertile meadow land, level upland and woodland, the strips were long and some quite narrow. Known as "Naubuc Farms," the parcels varied in width from seven to 200 rods, probably according to the amount each proprietor had put up toward the original purchase price of Wethersfield. This survey of 1639-40 was the first official survey and layout of farms in Connecticut. (P) The southernmost lot of this first purchase (known as Naubuc Farms) ended at the mouth of Roaring Brook. Below that were farms probably bought directly from the Indians by John Hollister and Richard Treat [BOTH DIRECT ANCESTORS]. (P) The great desire of these Englishmen to invest in land is shown by the sircumstance that many of the first purchasers never occupied their farms on the east sie, but later sold them to others or gave or willed them to their sons. In 1684, a second survey revealed that many of the original farms had changed hands, and the names of the new owners were those known to us as old Glastonbury names: Welles, Hale, Talcott, Goodrich, Hubbard, Kilborn, Loveland and others [WE HAVE DIRECT ANCESTORS WITH THE FIRST 4 OF THESE NAMES]. The Hale farm, widest of the 34, which more than two and a half centuries later became famous for its peaches, was bought from Clement Chaplin, a first owner-investor, by Samuel Hale [DIRECT ANCESTOR] and the Rev. Timothy Stevens. ..... (P) As nearly as can be figured out, the first house, no longer standing, was built by Thomas Edwards sometime between 1645 and 1649 in Naubuc (the Indian name for "east side") near Hoccanum. (P) But Nayaug ("Land of Noisy Waters"), now in South Glastonbury, was the area that first attracted the settlers, perhaps because of Roaring Brook, which flowed through the wild countryside from its rise in the eastern hills south-westerly to the Connecticut River. Sturgeon River, they called this brook, for it was teeming with fish. Cascading down its stony length in many natural little waterfalls, the brook offered great possibilities for water power. Small wonder that in time a thriving village sprang up along its lower banks to become for a century or so Glastonbury's industrial center. (P) If Thomas Edwards built the first house in Glastonbury, closely following him was John Hollister. Mr. Hollister built a house in Nayaug in about 1649 on the river bank near the old Coal Dock at the rear of a Tryon Street farm now owned by a lineal descendant, Theordore Pratt [NOTE THAT WE ARE ALSO LINEAL DESCENDANTS OF JOHN HOLLISTER]. This first John Hollister probably never lived in the house. He had a tenant named Josiah Gilbert who leased the Hollister farm, together with his brothers, Jonathan and JOhn. Situated as the house was, so close to the river, spring freshets flooded the place badly every year. Yet the Gilberts and, after 1665, the Hollisters endured this recurring misery until early in the next century when either the whole house or part of it was moved to Tryon Street. (P) According to one story, the house was moved east and north to a location near the Roaring Brook bridge, where it is still standing, owned by the Killam family. But according to another version, only the back ell of the original house was moved, hauled directly to Tryon Street, where it stood for many years, eventually being used as a storage shed at the rear of the Pratt home. (P) Whether or not the Killam house was built in 1649, it is of very early construction, undoubtedly seventeenth sentury, and is the oldest house still standing in Glastonbury, the ancestral home of the Hollister family for many generations. ..... (P) Glastonbury grew slowly, household by household, during its first years. ..... [During King Philip's War, 1675-6] the Standing Council ordered the settlers to make defense preparations. On October 11, 1675, the Council authorized John Hollister to "hire two or three men to fortify his house and secure his corn." They undoubtedly meant Indian helpers, as Mr. Hollister and the Indians were known to be so close as to help each other with their corn-raising. The next month the Council suggested that the Nayaug Indians join with the Wongunks (referriing to the tribe at Portland) and, under the direction of John Hollister, build a fort either at Nayaug or at Wonggum (Portland), as they thought best. The Red Hill location was chosen and the old fort reconstructed, but fortunately no attack came and it was not long before the fort was again unmanned, never to be used again for defensive purposes. (P) One of the most remarkable Glastonbury property holders of the early colonial period was the Rev. Gershom Bulkeley. The Rev. Bulkely was serving as Wethersfield's minister when he was appointed surgeon to the Army in King Philip's War. When he returned, wounded, after the war, he asked for dismissal from the church and evidently moved across the river to live with his daughter, the widow of Thomas Treat. The house where he died (in 1713) is still standing, a quaint gambrel-roofed house on Tryon Street, just below Ferry Lane. (P) Gershom Bulkeley was undoubtedly one of the best educated men in central Connecticut at that time. A graduate of Harvard, he was not only a minister and a physician, but a lawyer, a surveyor and a linguist, being familiar with several languages including Latin, Greek and Dutch. An ardent royalist, he sided with Sir Edmund Andros and his right to seize the Connecticut Charter in 1687, and wrote many forceful essays on the subject of loyalty to the mother country, foreseeing, no doubt, the colonists' rebellion in the next century. ..... He was important in Glastonbury's history, for he was ultimately responsible for a boundary dispute in 1684 which changed the actual size of the town's area. ..... (P) [Bulkeley claimed some land belonging to John Hollister. The original boundary had used Pewter Pot Brook, but this had changed its course over the years in such a way as to reduce the land owned by Hollister, provided one kept the brook as boundary. Bulkely won, and Glastonbury was deprived of 85 1/2 rods of land now belonging to East Hartford.] ..... (P) Despite the friendliness of the Wongunks [Indians local to Wethersfield], families in Glastonbury were always on guard against possible attack by hostile tribes. Fear of the Indians was always present. Doors and outer walls were made doubly strong. Some houses --- the Benjamin Talcott [DIRECT ANCESTOR] house, for one, which stood opposite the present Academy Junior High --- were surrounded by palisade fences. The stockaded Talcott house, torn down in 1851, is said to have been the first house to be built here after Glastonbury became a town. Alfred E. Hollister, who celebrated his 99th birthday in 1970, owner of the house now occupying the site, believes the ell of his house to be the original Talcott ell, an early 18th century addition to the 17th century house. The Talcott house had been stockaded so that it could serve as a place of refuge for women and children in case of Indian attack. It may never have been used for such a purpose since there are no records of Indian hostilities against Glastonbury people. Nevertheless, said Mrs. Florence Hollister Curtis in her Glastonbury history published in 1928, little children, as a disciplinary measure, were apt to be warned by their mothers to "watch out, or the Mohawks will get you!" (P) Deprived of their lands, weakened by rum and subject to tuberculosis and other diseases passed on to them by the white people, the Indian families in Glastonbury gradually died off. Some moved west to join other tribes. By the time of the French and Indian War in mid-18th century, there were still a few here who fought on the side of the English. By 1765 there were only 40 Indians living in a reservation on the Wongunk meadows, Portland, which had been set aside for the heirs of Sowheag in about 1664. Tike, whom the settlers called Mary, widow of Sowheag's son, Cushog, died in 1774, apparently the last survivor of the Wongunks."
"JOHN [HOLLISTER] ..... Watertown (Mass.) 1635, Weymouth 1643, Wethersfield 1644. d. Wethersfield by 20 Apr 1665. Deputy. Lieutenant. Hale-House 1952. Stiles, *Wethersfield: John Hollister of Wethersfield and descendants* 1886."
--- Meredith B Colket, *Founder of Early American Families*, Cleveland OH 1985, p 159
"John Hollister, the founder of this family, is said to have been born in Glastonbury, Somersetshire, England, in 1612, died in Wethersfield, Connecticut, in April, 1665. He married Joanna, daughter of Richard and Joanna Treat (see Treat [i.e., under their names]. Children: 1. John, referred to below [here, under John (2) HOLLISTER]. 2. Elizabeth, died in 1673; married, in 1659, Samuel, son of Governor Thomas and Elizabeth (Hunt) Welles [latter should be Alice TOMES] (see Welles II [i.e. Thomas (2) WELLES]). 3. Sarah, died December 8, 1691; married (first) in 1674, the Rev. Hope Atherton, and (second) about 1679, Lieutenant Timothy Baker. 4. Mary, married, about 1669, John Welles Jr. 5. Thomas, died November 8, 1701; married (first) Elizabeth Latimer, (second) Elizabeth, widow of Amos Williams. 6. Joseph, died August 29, 1674. unmarried. 7. Stephen, born in 1658, died October 2, 1709; married (first) in 1683, Abigail Treat, (second) Elizabeth Coleman Reynolds."
--- William Richard Cutter, *New England Families*, NY 1913, p 595 He was married to Joanna TREAT about 1639.
Joanna TREAT was born in May 1618 in Pitminster, Somerset, England.
Jacobus & Waterman say *baptized* 24 May 1618 She was christened on 24 May
1618 in Pitminster, Somerset, England. She died about Oct 1694. 8th ggm of
Jacobus & Waterman have (p. 766): "JOANNA, bapt. 24 May 1618; d. at Wethersfield, abt. Oct. 1694; m. (say 1639), Lieut JOHN HOLLISTER ....., b. in England, abt 1612, d. at WEthersfield, Apr. 1665. Children were:
675 i. Elizabeth HOLLISTER.
678 ii. John (2) HOLLISTER Sgt.
iii. Mary HOLLISTER was born about 1650.
iv. Stephen HOLLISTER was born in 1658.
Return to Table of Contents