THIRTEENTH GENERATION


5608. William (1) GOODRICH Yeoman was born about 1545 in Suffolk, England. He died in Oct 1631 in Hessett, Suffolk, England. He was buried on 24 Oct 1631 in Hessett, Suffolk, England. 10th ggf of Gordon Fisher

Lafayette Wallace Case in *The Goodrich Family in America*, 1889, p. 19, has an abstract from the will of "William Gooderich of Hegesset [rather than Hesset], yeoman, made April 4, 1631, and proved in the Archdeaconry Court of Sudbury, Feb 2, 1631/32 [1632/1633 ?]."

"ENGLISH ANCESTRY OF WILLIAM GOODRICH [the settler]. JOHN GOODRICH of Bury St. Edmunds, in the County of Suffolk, England, was the father of William Goodrich, the early settler in Wethersfield, Connecticut, his ancestry and descendants being fully determined and published in "The Goodrich Family in America" by Lafayette Wallace Case, M.D. John Goodrich was a clothier. He inherited from his father, William Gooderich [sic] of Hegesset, Suffolk County, yeoman, by his will, dated April 4, 1631, and proved in the Archdeaconry Court of Sudbury, February 2, 1631-2, all the houses, lands, and tenements in Hegessett, and was executor of the will. The Christian name of his wife was Margerie or Margaret, who is mentioned in the will of John Goodrich, dated April 14, 1632, and proved May 16, 1632, as also his sons, William Goodrich the elder, William Goodrich the younger, John Goodrich, and Jeremy Goodrich. John Goodrich, the father of this family, was buried April 21, 1632, the same being recorded in the Parish Register of St. Mary, Bury St. Edmunds. William Goodrich, the younger, was a clergyman, educated at Caius College, Cambridge, in Hegesset in 1678, willing property to sons of his brothers William the elder and John, who were the early settlers in Wethersfield. The English home of this family was, therefore, Hegesset, now called Hessett, which is six miles east of Bury St. Edmunds. Of this home and the family history in England, an account by Hon. Grant Goodrich is published in the above genealogy."
--- William F. J. Boardman, *The Ancestry of William Francis Joseph Boardman, Hartford, Connecticut*, 1906, p 184-185

"WILLIAM GOODRICH, the earliest ancestor to whom this family can be traced, was born probably in Suffolk, about 1545 and was buried in Hessett in that shire, 24 Oct. 1631, "*Sepulti, Guglielmus Gotheridge vicesimo quarto Octobris*." He married about 1670, MARGARET -----, who was buried in Hessett, 22 Mar. 1630-31. She was apparently the mother of all his children. (P) The marriage of a William Goodrich and Margaret Richardson in Felsham in 1568 is given in the *Suffolk Marriage Index* at Ipswich. This is probably the marriage of William Goodrich of Hessett. It must be from a transcript as the earliest extant register of Felsham begins in 1656. It is stated that William was the son of an Adam Goodrich of Felsham whose will is dated, 1596-97. Other records are stated to exist which, if substantiated, would give William the pedigree, *Adam, Robert, John, Robert* but the documents are not quoted and have not been found again. (P) That the two immigrants, John and William Goodrich, who settled in Wethersfield, Conn., descended from William of Hessett is amply proven by documents preserved in the Archives of Connecticut. Their brother, Rev. William Goodrich, dying in 1678, left property to the sons of John and William, and, in order to establish the claim of the heirs certain documents had to be filed in court. Part of the evidence is printed in Manwaring's *Hartford Probate*, including the will of Rev. William Goodrich of "Hegesset."
(P) The records of Hessett were searched, in a somewhat sketchy fashion, years ago and the results embodied in the *Goodrich Genealogy*. In 1938, much more exhaustive work was done. [Footnote: By W.L.Holman, S.B., for C.D.Stillman, Esq., who kindly allowed the data to be used. She has further material.] This account is based on that research and *some* additional work. It seems quite evident, to the present compiler, that John Goodrich was the eldest son of William. He may have been born in Felsham, if his mother belonged in that parish. In the lapse of so much of specific data, conclusions have to be based on the customs of the time, the laws, etc., as well as from such vital records as may be unearthed. (P) Hessett is suggested to have been originally a part of Rougham, by Canon Cooke, in his admirable history of this parish. He states that it was probably called "Hegesset" earlier and was held by the Abbot of Bury until the dissolution of the monasteries, in 1541, when it was conveyed to Thomas Bacon. The Bacon family held the property until 1653, when Lionel Bacon who had possession, died without male issue. It then passed to Robert Walpole, grandson of Lionel's eldest sister, Elizabeth, who was father of the famous Sir Robert Walpole. In 1724, the manor was sold to Thomas le Heup. The beautiful parish church of Hessett, erected in 1472, was dedicated to St. Ethelbert, King and Martyr, and became a rectory in the Deanery of Thedwastre, Archdeanery of Sudbury. The registers begin in 1539. ..... [part of William's will is quoted] ..... Children, born probably in Suffolk: i. JOHN, b. about 1575; prob m. ----- -----, and MARGARET HOW. ii. ROBERT, bapt 5 May 1577, Hessett, not named in will, prob d. unm. iii. WILLIAM, bapt. 11 Sept. 1580, prob. bur. 7 Aug. 1645, Hessett; m. 16 May 1608, Hessett, BARBARA COLE. Left issue. iv. HENRY. bapt. 12 Jan. 1583-84, Hessett. He m. and prob. d. before 1631, as he is not named in his father's will. He left 2 children mentioned in his brother John's will. v. SUSAN, bapt. 30 May 1591, Hessett; m. (1), in 1618, JOHN LOCK at Lawshall, Suffolk; she m. (2), in 1628, at Bradfield, Combust, JOHN BEAUMOND. She had children by John Lock, mentioned in her brother John's will. vi. ELIZABETH, b. about 1595; m. 25 July 1623, Bradfield St. George, PHILIP CLARKE."
--- Helen Pendleton (Winston) Pillsbury and Mary Lovering Holman, F.A.S.G., *Ancestry of Colonel Harrington Stevens and his wife Frances Helen Miller*, 1948 (Privately Printed at The Rumford Press, Concord, New Hampshire) p 181-2

********************************************************************** **** **************

Appendix 19, Godric & Goodrich

Excerpt from Hon. Grant Goodrich of Chicago, "The Goodrich Family, Historical Introduction," in the book by Lafayette Wallace Case, M.D., The Goodrich Family in America. A Genealogy of the Descendants of John and William Goodrich of Wethersfield, Conn., Richard Goodrich of Guilford, Conn., and William Goodridge of Watertown, Mass., together with A Short Historical Account of the Family in England, the Origin of the Name, a Description of Goodrich Castle, etc., Edited for the Goodrich-Family-Memorial Association, Chicago (Fergus Printing Co.) 1889, p. 5- 19 passim.

GOODRICH, like most other family names, has been subject to a variety of changes and modifications, all of them, however, retaining in part at least their original Teutonic and Saxon signification. . . . . . It is certain that Goodrich was originally Godric, from which came Godricus, Godryke, Goodryke, Guthrich, Guthridge, Gothridge, Godridge, Goodridge, etc. In the correspondence between Col. Brich [Birch], commander of the parliamentary forces in the siege of Goodrich Castle, and Sir Henry Lingen, who defended it, the latter called it Guthridge Castle, while Birch called it Goodrich Castle. Some of these diversities were doubtless occasioned by attempts to Latinize or Anglicize the original Teutonic name, or grew out of provincial pronunciation; but in whatever form it is found, the radical word is always preserved. The Saxon word god is clearly the primary root of the name, and has the same meaning as the Gothic word guth and the Danish gud, the u having the sound of oo. In Anglo- Saxon, the words god and good are written exactly the same; and as the word good was used not only to signify Deity, but rule or ruler, it probably had the latter meaning when applied to persons; and though the names were spelled Godric, Goodrich, Guthrich, Goodridge, or otherwise, if the primary word god, good or guth were retained the meaning was the same. Whether the suffix ric, rick, or rich really meant rich, or had the same meaning as when added to Bishop, as Bishopric, signifying dominion or rule over a district is not entirely certain.

Robert Ferguson, M.P., in "Surnames as a Science," p. 53, says: "Godricus Doomsday (book(, English Godrick --- rick, ric, is rich in old Saxon." In the "Etymological Dictionary of Family and Christian Names," by William Arthur, M.A., it is said: "Goodrich (Saxon), Godrick from god or good; ric, rich --- is rich in God or in goodness." In "Our English Surnames, their Sources and Signification, " by Chas. Warring Bardaley, p. 20, we are told that "The primary root god or good, which stood in all Teutonic languages as the title of divinity, was familiarized as the chief component in several names, such as Godebold, now Godbold, etc. * * Goodrich or Godrick are appellations which belonged to an early Saxon abbot, who was exalted to the ranks of the saints, as St. Godric, is also found in our existing registers." Whether the name was originally intended to indicate one rich in God or in goodness, a good ruler, or a ruler over a good district or domain, is not important at this day; either denotes an honorable family origina and name, which all who inherit should strive never to dishonor or disparage.

The Goodrich tribe or family evidently existed in Great Britain at a very early period, but when or at what place it first appeared is lost in the obscurity of the past. So far as we have been able to learn, the earliest mention of the name is referred to in Edwin Hubbard's :Goodrich Family Memorial," where it is said: "The following is found in Ingulph's 'History of the Abbey of Croyland,' and whatever may be thought of the value of that work as to charters recited and historical events recounted, its history of its own abbots is doubtless correct. After the destruction of the abbey by the Danes under Harold and Sidroc, in the year 870, in the times of Ethelred and Alfred, Ingulph says: 'By common consent of all, the venerable Father Godric, though very reluctant and making great opposition thereto, was elected abbot.' The abbot for the next four years was harassed by fines and confiscations by the king of Mercia till that kingdom ended, and Alfred reigned over both that and Wessex. In the reign of Edmund, A.D. 940, weighed down with extreme old age, Godric, abbot of Croyland, died." . . . . .

It is probable one of the earliest evidences of their existence is found in the ruins of Goodrich Castle . . . . . [which] stands on a commanding eminence, near the southeastern extremity of the County of Herford, in Herfordshire, Wales, on the eastern bank of the River Wye; distant, almost due south, from Herford sixteen miles, and four from Ross. The land immediately surrounding the castle and belonging to it is wholly in the County of Herford. . . . . . {The] keep clearly antedates the Norman conquest, and is as truly Saxon as it can be, while its surrounding works are mainly Norman. The windows are in every respect Saxon. . . . . . All the other historical evidence we have been able to find, in relation to the probable founder of the castle and its subsequent ownership, is embraced in the following extract from "The Beauties of England and Wales," in twenty-six volumes, published in 1805. In Vol. 6, pp. 516 to 526, after a minute description of the castle, it is said: "Whoever was the original founder of the castle, whether Godricus Dux, who witnessed King Canute's charters (A.D. 1016 ro 1036), or any chieftain prior to him, it is certain the earliest authentic record concerning it, at present known, is of the date of 1204, when it was given by King John to William Strigul, Earl Marshall, to hold by service of two knights' fees. His son Walter, Earl of Pembroke, died here in the year 1246. It was afterward conveyed by a female to William de Valence, Earl of Pembroke, whose third son, Aymer de Valence, became his heir, and was murdered in France, 1323. From him it passed to the Talbots, by the marriage of Elizabeth Comyn, daughter of Johnm with Sir Richard, afterward Lord Talbot, who procured a license from Edward III, to have prision here. This Richard was a renowned soldier and statesman, and is thought to have expended a considerable part of the ransoms obtained from prisoners, taken by him in the French wars, on the reparation and improvement of Goodrich Castle. His descendant, John Talbot, the great Earl of Shrewsbury, who was killed at the battle of Castillon, in 1453, * * is styled Lord of Goodrich Castle and Orchenfield. His descendants were equally distinguished for bravery, and were frequently employed in affairs of great trust. George, the sixth early, had the custody of Mary, Queen of Scots, committed to his charge. * * Gilbert, seventh earl of Shrewsbury, was in possession of this castle at his death on 14 of James 1st. Elizabeth, his second daughter and coheiress, conveyed it with the manor, in marriage, to Henry de Gray, Earl of Kent, in whose family they continued until the year 1740, when, on the death of Henry, Duke of Kent, they were sold to Admiral Griffin, whose son, Geo. Griffin, Esq., is now (1805) the owner." It subsequently passed into the hands of Sir Samuel Meyrick, who built Goodrich Court, not far from the castle, the first stone of which was laid April 23, 1828.

The Talbots were in England before the Norman conquest, but were probably of French origin, and friendly to William, and held their possessions after the conquest.

On the breaking out of the civil war in 1642, between Charles I and the Parliament, a great effort was made by both parties to obtain possession of Goodrich Castle. It was first seized by Parliament, and occupied; but its forces were soon dislodged by the Royalists, and it was held by them under command of Sir Henry Lingen. It was afterward besieged by the Parliamrentary forces under Col. John Birch, and after a stubborn resistence [sic] of nearly two months and the gallant repulse of several assaults, it was surrendered to him, who recommended that it be demolished. Parliament ordered that the Countess of Kent be notified of this necessity, and satisfaction be made her; and on the first of March, 1647, resolved that "Goodrich Castle be totally disgarrisoned and slighted." The order was executed, and the castle left in ruins as they appear today, unchanged except by time and decay. Any one curious to learn further details of the siege or description of the castle, mau consult "Memoirs of Civil War," by Cary, 2 vols., "Grose's Antiquities," and "Monumenta Antiqua, " Vol. 26, p. 516.

It is shown by Doomsday (book) and Freeman's "History of the Norman Conquest, 1066," that the land-holders of the Goodrich family were then numerous. Freeman makes repeated mention of a Godric of great prominence, who fell at Senlac in the battle of Hastings, bravely fighting for his king and country. He was officially conspicuous, and possessed of large landed estates in different counties. He was sheriff of Berkshire and Buckinghamshire, and possibly of Bedfordhire. At that time the sheriff was the first man in the county, and superior to any nobleman while he held his office. . . . . . His lands were confiscated by William, and granted to Henry of Ferrers, whose descendants held the earldoms of Derby and NOttingham. To Godric's widow was granted a hide of land, to be held by the degrading tenure of feeding the king's dogs; and of this she was in the end defrauded. There are few men of that period, not of exalted rank, of whom this historian has made more frequent mention. . . . . .

Their Saxon descent renders it probable the Goodriches were loyal to England and followed Harold, and, in consequence, their lands were forfeited to the conqueror and confiscated. . . . . . [Many] were displaced by Frenchmen, in accordance with the general government of the country by William, so that at the end of twenty years, and at the time of the return of the Doomsday Survey, there was scarcely a Saxon remining in office in either the civil, church, or military service. This has been suggested as the reason why so many of the name became priests and ministers by profession. Hubbard gives from the Rotule, Henry VIII, of 1509 to 1546, the names of:

Thomas Goodricke, rector of Hogely, Lincoln.
Sir John Goodryke, knight, Huntingdon.
Thomas Goodryke, parish of Bowdon, Maj.
Annie Goodrycke, prioress of Greenfield, Lincoln.
Dr. Henry Goodrich, rector of Northfield, Kent.
John Goodereych, preb. of Hudson, Stafford.
John Goodridge, vicar of Clewdon, Somerset.
Wm. Goodrich, rector of St. Martin, Outerfield, London.
Rich'd Goodrich, comm. of poor, Parish of St. Nicholas, Gloucester.


There is a cannon on the esplanade of the Tower of London, with an inscription stating that it was presented by Sir Maurice Goodrich to (as now recollected) King Charles I. The copy of it was burned in the Chicago fire, October, 1871, and the authorities of the castle refused permission to visit the place when solicited during the last year [abt. 1888]. . . . . .

During the reigns of Henry VIII and Edward VI, the most prominent of the name seems to have been Thomas Goodrich, bishop of Ely and lord chancellor of England. In 1510, he became fellow of Jesus College; 1515, proctor of the University; 1529, syndicus to return answer from the University of Cambridge, concerning the lawfulness of the marriage of Henry VIII with Queen Catherine, and on that occasion recommended himself to royal favor. He was presented to the rectory of St. Peters, Cheapside, London, by Cardinal Wolsey; made canon of St. Stephen's, Westminster, and chaplain to the king; 1534, bishop of Ely. He was a zealous promoter of the Reformation; 1540, was appointed one of the revisers of the New Testaqment, the gospel of St. John being assigned to him. He was named commissioner for reforming the ecclastical laws by both Henry VIII and Edward VI, as well as the University of Cambridge; engaged with others in compiling the Common Prayer Book; became member of the privy council of Henry VIII and Edward VI, and by them was sent on various embassies and affairs of state; 1551, was made lord chancellor of England. Died Oct. 10, 1554. Mention of him is made in the history of Ely Cathedra, in the October number of the "Century," 1887, where he is called a great legal authority.

In "The Visitation of Yorkshire in 1584-5 and 1612, made by the Herald's Robert Glover and Richard St. George,: edited by James Foster, 1875, London, it is said: "John Goodrich of Bollinbroke had son Edward Goodericke of Kirby, County Lincoln, who married Jane, dau. and heir of Williamson, Boston. Edward Goodericke had children: Mary, Henry, John, Thomas, and Elizabeth.

"Thomas was bishop of Ely and lord high chancellor of England, tempus Henry VIII and Edward VI.

"Henry had sons William, Richard, and Christopher, and one daughter Alborougha.

"Richard had children: Richard, Henry, and Margaret.

"Richard, the son, was knighted in Queen Elizabeth, 43d, and married Muriel, daughter of Lord William Evans, and had sons: William, Henry (knight of Ribston in 1612), Robert, Ralph, John, Richard, Francis, and daughter Margaret.

"Sir Henry Goodrick, knight of Ribston, married Jane, dau. of Sir John Savile of Methby, baron of the exchequer, and had children: Henry, Richard, Mary, Jane, and Elizabeth. (Title extinct in 1833.)

"The arms of Richard Goodrick, bart. and nephew of the bishop of Ely, were: Argent on a fess gules, between two lions passant, guardant sable, a fleur-de-lis between two crescents or. Crest: a demi-lion, rampant, guardant sable. Motto: Fare wel til then."

[continued in GOODRICH, William (1) +] He was married to Margaret RICHARDSON in 1568 in Felsham, Suffolk, England. Jacobus & Waterman say: "Quite likely, it was he who married at Felsham, co. Suffolk, in 1568, Margaret Richardson." (p. 551)

5609. Margaret RICHARDSON was born about 1545 in Felsham, Suffolk, England. Birth date and place from Ahenentafel sent by Richard Mosher She died in Mar 1630/31 in Hessett, Suffolk, England. Jacobus & Waterman say: "buried at Hessett, 22 Mar. 1630/1." (p. 551) She was buried on 22 Mar 1630/31 in Hessett, Suffolk, England. Children were:

child2716 i. John (1) GOODRICH Clothier.

Home Return to Table of Contents