12. * Hamilton Joshua Grass
(90) was born on JUN 25 1868 in Fort Fairfield, ME.
(91) He died on NOV 29 1944 in Sugar Hill, NH.
(92) He is my great grandfather. He was buried in Quincy, MA. Mt
Wollaston Cemetery He was also known as Henry James Grass. this is the name
he went by great grandfather
He used the name "Henry James Grass"
His parents moved their family from Maine to North Carolina about 1875. They
traveled by train and in all the confusion of moving with a large family, Henry,
at age 7, somehow was left behind at the train station. Its not know
how far they got before he was missed, but the train had to return a considerable
distance backwards to the station and collect him. At about age 18, he returned
to New England, moving to Boston about 1893 and later to Quincy about 1902.
He was a carpenter and eventually owned and managed a couple of apartment buildings
*1870 Ft Fairfield, ME Census: 6/18/1870 - Hamilton Grass; age 2; born in Maine
*Birth Certificate: occupation given as carpenter
*From 1944 newspaper clipping: [copied from Grampa's scrapbook] : GRASS - Of
52 Ardell St., No. Quincy, Nov. 29, Henry J. Grass. Relatives and friends are
invited to attend the service at the Russell Funeral Home, 644 Hancock St., Wollaston,
Saturday Dec. 2 at 2 o'clock. Interment at Mt. Wollaston cemetery. Friends may
visit at the Funeral Home afternoons and evenings. He was married to * Bertha
Martin on OCT 26 1896 in Brookline, MA.(93)
13. * Bertha Martin
was born on NOV 23 1871 in West Bromwich, England.
(94) She emigrated about 1894 from England. She immigrated about
1894 to Boston, MA.(95) *Grass Lineage
: Emigrated to Boston about 1894. She died on MAR 29 1924 in Quincy, MA.
(96) She is my great grandmother. She was
buried in Quincy, MA. Mt Wollaston Cemetery great grandmother
She came from England at about 1894 and worked as a nannie for a wealthy family
in Brookline, Mass., where she remained until she got married in 1896.
Henry Grass Sr. was born on SEP 27 1898 in Boston, MA.
(97) He was buried in 1970 in Sugar Hill, NH.
(98) He died on NOV 23 1970 in Sugar Hill, NH.
(99) He is my granduncle. granduncle
Started Floridale Gardens in Sugar Hill with wife, Juna.
*SSDI : "GRASS, WILLIAM 003-28-7535 (NH) b. 27 Sep 1898 d. Nov 1970 lr.
(Franconia, Grafton, NH)"
Violet Grass was born on FEB 26 1900 in Boston, MA.
(100) She died on SEP 27 1918 in Quincy, MA.
(101) She is my grandaunt. She was buried in Quincy, MA. Mt Wollaston
* James Everett Grass.
Martin Grass was born in 1906 in Quincy, MA.
(102) He died in 1908 in Quincy, MA.
(103) He is my granduncle. He was buried in Quincy, MA. in Mount
Wollaston Cemetery granduncle
He died at about age 2.
Melvin Grass was born on SEP 3 1910 in Quincy, MA.
(104) He died on MAY 29 1992 in Quincy, MA.
(105) he died at home He is my granduncle. He was buried in Quincy,
MA. Mt. Wollaston Cemetery granduncle
He started Grass Instrument Co. in Quincy, Mass. Developed brainwave recording
instruments, now known as electroencephalographs, as well as other medical instruments
Grass Instrument Co., 101 Old Colony Ave., Quincy, Mass.
*SSDI : "GRASS, ALBERT 014-24-8291 (MA) b. 03 Sep 1910 d. 29 May 1992 lr.
(Quincy, Norfolk, MA)"